One of the staples of Turkish Cuisine. We call this Lahmacun (pronounce Lahmajoun), super thin, crispy, no yeast pizza topped with mix of ground beef, tomato, some herbs and spices. It’s perfect alternative to pizza if you are up for something different. Try it with our Oleamea EVOOs. Enjoy it.
Serving Size: 8-10
For the Dough:
* 300 gr of all-purpose flour
* 300 ml water
* 1 tsp salt
For the Topping
* 9 oz ground beef
* 1 yellow onion (finely grated)
* 1 tsp salt
* 1 sweet red pepper, cored, cut into chunks
* ½-1 oz parsley (finely chopped)
* 2 tomatoes, cut into chunks
* 2 garlic cloves, peeled and finely grated
* 2 tsp tomato paste (If you can find red pepper paste, use 1 tsp of red pepper paste instead)
* 1 tsp group cumin, 1tsp black pepper, 1 tsp paprika, 1 tsp hot pepper flakes
* 2 tbsp #Oleamea EVOO
* 2 tbsp water
1. Heat oven to 450 degrees F. Adjust oven rack to the middle.
2. Gather the ingredients. Put the flour and salt in a large mixing bowl. Add water and knead until smooth and elastic, 6-7 minutes. Cover and let it rest, about 30 min.
3. While the dough is resting, prepare the topping.
4. Mix all the topping ingredients together in a large bowl.
5. Once the dough is rested, turn it out on a floured surface and divide it into 8-10 even pieces.
6. Roll out each piece into a very thin round or oval shape. Try to get each piece as thin as possible without tearing it.
7. Spread the topping evenly over the top of each dough.
8. Turn the baking tray upside down and use the bottom surface for baking. Bake in heated oven for about 5 to 7 minutes or until dough and meat are fully cooked (dough will be a little crusty around the edges.)
9. Repeat steps 6,7 and 8 with the remaining dough.
Serving Recommendation: Squeeze a little lemon juice on top. Add a few slices of thin sliced tomatoes, a few slices of onions, maybe fresh arugula. Wrap up and enjoy.